Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Bad news for BPL = Good news for us

To: "Milt, N5IA" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Bad news for BPL = Good news for us
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:07:42 -0700
Milt, N5IA wrote:
> On the contrary Jim.
> I have been directly involved with telecommunications AND electric power
> distribution in a very rural area for nearly 40 years.
> I have successfully deployed wireless Internet delivery across a 5,000
> square mile area with just over 50 Access Points serving nearly 2,000
> subscribers.

I think you are misinterpreting my comment.  My comment *is* that BPL
isn't a very good way to bring broadband to the hinterlands, just as you
say.   However, it *is* also a good way to provide employment for a few
hundred folks involved in promoting BPL in one way or another, at least
for a few years until they find something else to promote.

> It would take 10 times the investment to do the same via BPL on our
> power lines, and then still not deliver to every potential subscriber
> because of the remoteness of some locations.  With electric kWh meter
> density at near 5 per mile (that includes water wells, barns, and other
> locations which are not permanent human dwellings) there would be more
> BPL repeaters than subscribers.

Which actually brings up one of the few practical applications of BPL..
remote meter reading and similar SCADA type applications.  It's not a
bad way to distribute real time pricing information too.