[TowerTalk] High voltage transmission lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] High voltage transmission lines
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 05:05:43 +0100 (BST)
At one QTH in England I lived about a mile from some
400kV lines. Operating on 160m or 80m was uttterly
impossible in damp weather - and that is a lot of the
time in England! The lines would be quite quiet when
it was dry (I think the rfi mechanism is corona,
whereas on lower voltage lines it tends to be faulty
hardware). And as others have mentioned, the power
utility is most unlikely to shut down a major feeder
for an rfi complaint - and even if they were to do so,
what could they correct?

73 Roger
VE3ZI/G3RBP