Re: [TowerTalk] Solid PVC tube for vertical coil

To: Eric Hilding <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solid PVC tube for vertical coil
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:23:22 -0700
Eric Hilding wrote:
> I haven’t been able to find a 1 & 1/8 inch solid fiberglass rod, so am
> hoping one of the Mechanical Gurus here might be able to tell me if a 2 foot
> section of this 1 & 1/8 inch solid PVC might be rigid enough to use as an
> insert between the 1 & ¼ inch aluminum sections about ¾ of the way up on a
> 32 ft vertical (large wire air coil would go around it).
PVC is not exactly a great structural material. It softens and deforms
at fairly low temperatures.

Why not buy a piece of Garolite from McMaster Carr...

Runs about $11-15/ft for the brown stuff, $23/ft for the G-10/FR4 stuff

Probably be on your doorstep a couple days after you order it.

Search for plastic rod, then answer the questions about diameter and

Acetal (Delrin) might also be a decent choice.. About $6/ft.  Machines
nicely, quite strong.

You can also get pultruded/extruded fiberglass tubing, but I don't think
1-1/8" is a standard size.

Garolite tubing is available in that size.. $24.21 for a 40" length..