Re: [TowerTalk] Roswell Tower Accident

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Roswell Tower Accident
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:50:02 -0400
Jim makes a perfectly valid point about risk acceptance, but it may be
appropriate to remember that this community is, by and large, aging.  Aside
from the rational decision not to take so many risks as your
responsibilities grow, there are physical vagaries that can suddenly cause
a dramatic increase in your vulnerability.

A small personal example - a few days ago I woke up with what I
self-diagnosed as minor bursitis in an elbow, and pretty much
ignored.  Then, as I was picking up a step-ladder, I suddenly felt a
"crunch" in the elbow (I'm not sure if I heard it or not), followed by two
seconds of the sharpest pain I've ever experienced - like the bursitis
raised to about the 10th power.  Immediately thereafter, I was fine, but I
guarantee you, if I had been free-climbing a tower and relying on that
hand, I would have fallen.

As for telling me what good shape you're in, or how careful you are - the
first time something like this happens to you could be the last, if it
happens on a tower.

73, Pete N4ZR