Re: [TowerTalk] safety cable addition to Rohn 55

To: Steve Jackson <kz1x@yahoo.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] safety cable addition to Rohn 55
From: Sam Smith <gitterdone12000@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 05:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
Yes I have installed a safety climb on a Rohn 55g. How ever I'm just an
installation guy so I didn't order the parts.
But if I were looking,,,,I'd contact Radian. I'm sure they have what you need.
I myself use a DBI Sala cable grab with a swivel attachment point to hook onto
the cable and myself. The Sala is not a personal preference or anything,,just
easy to come by for a tower hand as most if not all new commercial towers come
with one as well as a fall arrest harness and a carabiner. Cell tech's are not
allowed to climb so they have no use for the equipment.
Its a very wise investment and you are to be commended for your interest.
They're life savers for sure and not all that expensive when you consider the
alternatives. And,, IMHO these things would be easy to fabricate in your garage
once you have a picture and a parts list to go by. Just shy away from any parts
that say MADE IN CHINA as they may be coated with lead based paint...and made
of softer weaker steel than US manufactured stuff.

Sam