[TowerTalk] Air Core Choke Baluns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Air Core Choke Baluns
From: Brent Childers <w5ww@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 14:40:08 -0500
To All,

I was reading about Air Core 1:1 Choke Baluns on this page:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html

One thing caught my eye.

"The coil winding must not be placed against a conductor."

This caused me to think about how I had attached the choke baluns on my
existing antennas.  Usually I would tape the outside of the balun directly to
the boom ahead of the driven element.

Three questions:

1. Is the statement in regard to not placing an air core choke balun against a
conductor true?
2. If so, what are the ramifications?
3. Should I be mounting the balun to my antennas using a different method?

If someone could point me to a proper reference, or provide their experiences
would be appreciated.

73 - Brent
Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
today.