Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser Questions

To: "David Calder" <n4zkf@n4zkf.com>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser Questions
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:40:21 -0400
From: "David Calder" <n4zkf@n4zkf.com>
To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2007 6:25 AM

> Exactly. Mine are mounded directly on my ground buss bars just before they
> enter the shack. I run all hardline
> and it's grounded to it's own buss at the bottom of each tower.
>
> Working for one of the larger tower companies here I deal with the cell
> carriers everyday and I just copied
> their design. I figured if it saved their equipment it was good enough for
> mine.
>
> 73 Dave n4zkf

TT:

     If I had solid coax runs from the antennas to my shack, rather than an
intervening coax switch at the tower, I'd put my Poly's outside my shack on
the SPG panel.  However, as I mentioned in my first post, I needed some sort
of center conductor protection ahead of that switch so I installed the
Poly's outside the NEMA box at the base of my tower.

     I'm in the commerical wireless business myself and, like David, have
seen or designed commercial antenna systems with the lightning arrestors
just at the entrance to the equipment shed.  Unlike my system, most of these
antennas are single coax runs from the antenna to the shed, without
intervening devices that require protection.  The RX pre-amps, if any,
include their own protective devices.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F