Re: [TowerTalk] Takeoff Angles and Non-Reciprocal Propagation

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Takeoff Angles and Non-Reciprocal Propagation
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:35:01 -0800
What you described is a circulator:

http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/circulators.cfm

See this tutorial:

http://personal.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/sparam.html

"A dual directional coupler is an example of a reciprocal 4-port."

You can build a directional coupler out of transformers
as shown in:

http://michaelgellis.tripod.com/direct.html

You aren't implying transformers are non-reciprocal?

David Gilbert wrote:

> Unless I'm using the term incorrectly (certainly a possibility), a
> directional coupler routes signals leaving Port A to Port B, whereas
> signals leaving Port B in the reverse direction end up at Port C ... not
> Port A.  As far as Ports A and B are concerned, I don't think we have
> reciprocity.

> By the way, I've tried to contact N6BV to see what his take on all of
ugh to hear from him.

N6BV is extremely busy getting ready to help NCCC win the Sweepstakes
gavel again.  Which reminds me, I have to duck out of this thread
and get ready for SS myself.

Rick N6RK