[TowerTalk] A Tower in the Attic Vs. A Nello Wallmount

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Tower in the Attic Vs. A Nello Wallmount
From: Thomas t <hamaddict2001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:52:47 -0800 (PST)
Hi there,

  I am mounting a 3el 20mtr steppir w/30-40mtr loop & 6m element (altogether
about 45lbs and less than 10sqft wind load) on my house and I would like some
opinions as to whether my house is up to the job.  Specifically I would like to
know whether I can get away with mounting the antenna on my all ready installed
102483 Nello wall mount or whether I need to go to an installation like the one
detailed in the Feb. 2000 QST article "A Tower in the Attic" by K5VUU.  Please
keep in mind that a low visual profile is important here, and although I can
probably get away with this antenna on my wall mount or on an attic tower, I
cannot do much more.

  The Nello wall mounts (102483, a beast at 112 lbs) are halfway up on my attic
wall, with the inside 10"x10" 1/4" steel plates mounted against approx. 3ftx3ft
3/4 inch or better plywood I have added and screwed into the studs.  The arms
are above and below an attic window, so not all the studs the plywood is
connected to are floor to ceiling.  My fear here is not that the mount itself
will fail, but that the wall will come off the house.  Some friends worry the
vibrations of the antenna in the wind over time will loosen the wall from the
house....Is this a legitimate fear? The house dates from 1920s-1930s and I
assume everything is put together with nails. Also consider the vertical load
with antenna at something like 160 lbs +......can the attic wall support that
long term?  If I go with the existing wall mount, what is a good rotor solution
as I do not know of a good way to mount a thrust bearing in that setup.

  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions,
  Tom, N2YTF