[TowerTalk] 80m vertical

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>,rmthorne@suddenlink.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m vertical
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:10:59 -0500
N5ZC wrote:

I'm currently running a 32' vertical in the backyard fed at the base
with a 200 watt sgc tuner.  Eventually I want install an amplifier so
the current setup will not work.

I'm considering the Steppir and Hustler 6BTV verticals.  My current
thinking is the 6BTV will perform better due to top loading vs the
Steppir which uses base loading for 80m.

Its obvious that the Steppir is more expensive than other solutions, but
lets not worry about that right now.   My  main goal is to  run some
power on 80m  with the  most efficient vertical (between the two
mentioned above)  I can install.

-0-

My $0.02:

Rich,  I think it may be a toss up between losses in the 6btv traps vs. the
SteppIR base loading.

How does your present vertical work?   If it's ok, why not just build a high
power matching circuit for it?  If it can be improved...why not improve it,
and build a high power matching circuit?

I'm assuming the ground system is either good, or acceptable, at present,
and is irrelevant to the antenna decision. You could contemplate adding top
material, or both.

>From a personal perspective, I had a 4BTV (years ago) that I replaced with
32' of straight aluminum, and saw something like a 3dB improvement over the
original antenna, on 40m.

I'm not a fan of traps, and I AM a fan of SteppIR, so if I were limited to
those two choices, money aside, you know where I'd go.  You can also look
upon the base loading as a dedicated 80m matching solution.

Jim/n2ea