Re: [TowerTalk] [PVRC] CADWELD Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Jeffrey Okamitsu <w3kl@w3kl.com>,pvrc@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [PVRC] CADWELD Question
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:16:52 -0600 (CST)
Jeff:

Cadweld is intended as a buriable ground connection as-is.  Do it right, cover
with dirt and get on the air.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Jeffrey Okamitsu <w3kl@w3kl.com>
Date: 2007/11/28 Wed AM 11:48:18 CST
To: towertalk@contesting.com, pvrc@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [PVRC] CADWELD Question

Should one weatherproof (i.e., tape) cadweld
connections (Cu to Cu) that will be buried?

I personally think it's a waste of time and material,
but if someone can explain why it's necessary (that
is, a good cadweld connection will have a lifetime
less than that of a Cu ground rod embedded in the same
soil type unless it is weather proofed...and how,
physically, that could happen), I could be pursuaded
otherwise.

73, and thanks for reading.

Jeff