Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitors To Tune 160 Vertical

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitors To Tune 160 Vertical
From: Martin Ewing - AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:56:39 -0500
Let me jump in with a pet peeve.  I know Jim knows better, but there are
few components that know or care how much power is "pumped through"
them, although people often speak as if they did.

Capacitors, inductors, coax, switches, and what-have-you have voltage
and current ratings, but not "power" -- unless referred to a specific
impedance.  They would have power _dissipation_ ratings, but that's a
different number.

In this case, it's the capacitor's current rating that is in question.
Your 1 kW is 4.5 A @ 50 ohms, but it might be 3.2 A @ 100 ohms, or
whatever.  Same idea applies to voltage ratings.  A corollary: A
component (switch, ferrite, etc) that handles 1 kW into 50 ohms (VSWR
1.0) may not handle 1 kW with VSWR 2.0.

Sorry to interrupt the proceedings with such pedantics!

73 Martin AA6E