Re: [TowerTalk] Irrigation pipe vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Irrigation pipe vertical
From: Red Haines <redhaines@acegroup.cc>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:01:13 -0600
I've also used 3" irrigation pipe supported in the 3" PVC.  I've
telescoped 2" pipe inside the 3" pipe with aluminum bushings that I
turned, to make a number of adjustable and portable vertical elements,
of various minimum and maximum lengths.  Sometimes I bolt 8' lengths of
1" aluminum tube to the 2" pipe to obtain 6' more total length.

I've modified roof mount tripods to support the PVC and irrigation pipe
element.  I hold the pipe in the PVC with hose clamps over  slits sawed
in the PVC.

For portable use, I erect these over a sheet of aluminum for coupling to
earth, and feed between the pipe below the PVC and the aluminum sheet,
but usually attach 16 or more radials to that aluminum sheet.  Lightning
protection must be added or get it down before any storm approaches.
Have a way to clamp the pipe to a safety ground before handling it.

A 5/8 wave 20 meter irrigation pipe vertical with a good set of radials
works well.

73 de WOØW