Re: [TowerTalk] [PVRC] Mounting a Remote Antenna Switch?

To:, PVRC Reflector <>,Eric Rosenberg <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [PVRC] Mounting a Remote Antenna Switch?
From: Gene Smar <>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 14:25:45 -0600 (CST)

      My comments embedded within your e-mail, below.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Eric Rosenberg <>
Date: 2007/12/06 Thu PM 02:11:51 CST
To:, PVRC Reflector <>
Subject: [PVRC] Mounting a Remote Antenna Switch?

I have an Ameritron RCS-8V I'd like to mount, along with lightning arrestors,
inside a weatherproof box that will go on the exterior wall of my house (I
don't have a tower, but do have a number of wire antennas).

My questions:

1.  Can I mount the RCS-8V with the relays facing out and not down, as one
would if it was mounted on a tower or mast?

[AD3F]  Yes, I did that with my own COMTEK RCB-5 switch inside a Hoffman
enclosure at the base of my tower in 2001 and I can still select whichever
antenna I need.  No misoperation of the relays.

2.  Can I use CAT5 cable for the control line? It is 4 pairs of small gauge
cable, and the switch wants 5 conductors.

[AD3F]  Again yes.  I use Cat 5 wire for my switch box which is fifty feet from
my shack.  If you had a much longer run (say, several hundred feet) Cat 5 might
drop too much voltage to pull in the relays, depending on the source DC voltage
inside your shack.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC
PVRC mailing list