Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40-2CD => Moxon Conversion

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40-2CD => Moxon Conversion
From: "Samir Popaja, 7S7V (SM7VZX)" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:02:59 +0100
This antenna appears to have been "built from the ground up" (2004 variant).

This antenna appears to have been built (2007 variant) from a modified
Cushcraft XM-240.

Will be nice if someone can put list of hardware (without tubes) used on
variant 2004. Maybe DX Enginnering can make some kit of hardware for W6NL

73' Samir

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:53:31 -0800
From: "Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ" <>
To: "Tony Brock-Fisher"

I concur.  However, that wouldn't be as simple as it may appear.  The are
three ways to approach the project from what I can tell.  The first is to
biuld it from scratch without benefit of having a 402-CD or XM-240 around as
the base antenna to start with.  Then, depending on which CC antenna you
have on hand, the parts list will be different primarily because the older
402-CD requires additional beefing up already taken care of in the XM-240.

A little poking around on the Internet reveals that W6NL initially published
a design for a 2 element 40M Moxon at Dayton in 2004.  You can find this
presentation and other FB info on K3LR's web site ( as well as
other locations on the web.  That antenna appears to have been "built from
the ground up" and has a slightly longer boom than the 402-CD/XM-240.  The
2007 variant is based on a modified Cushcraft.

This antenna appears to have been "built from the ground up"..  I didn't
realize how long the Cross-Tee pieces were until I put the tubing list
together.  Those buggers are about 21' long and there's one on each element
half!  As a result it's very important to truss and reinforce the elements
as shown in the design.  I priced the tubing at one source and it will run
about $150 for the sizes and lengths required.  The balance of the parts
consist of stainless steel hardware, small aluminum plates, and the element
truss materials.  I would estimate the entire cost to be around $250 if
purchased new.  Not too bad for a shorty-forty which rivals a full size
three element mounted at the same height!

73, Bob K6ZZ

Checked by AVG Free Edition.