Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40-2CD => Moxon Conversion

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40-2CD => Moxon Conversion
From: <>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:57:15 -0500
While this is a very interesting and useful antenna, it does not defy
physics.  It only rivals a three element beam with a similar boom length.  A
28' boom is pretty short for a 3 element 40m beam.

John KK9A

To: "Tony Brock-Fisher" <>,<>
From: "Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ" <>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:53:31 -0800

I concur.  However, that wouldn't be as simple as it may
appear.  The are three ways to approach the project from
what I can tell.  The first is to biuld it from scratch
without benefit of having a 402-CD or XM-240 around as the
base antenna to start with.  Then, depending on which CC
antenna you have on hand, the parts list will be different
primarily because the older 402-CD requires additional
beefing up already taken care of in the XM-240.

A little poking around on the Internet reveals that W6NL
initially published a design for a 2 element 40M Moxon at
Dayton in 2004.  You can find this presentation and other FB
info on K3LR's web site ( as well as other
locations on the web.  That antenna appears to have been
"built from the ground up" and has a slightly longer boom
than the 402-CD/XM-240.  The 2007 variant is based on a
modified Cushcraft.

I started putting together a parts list for modifying an
XM-240.  I didn't realize how long the Cross-Tee pieces were
until I put the tubing list together.  Those buggers are
about 21' long and there's one on each element half!  As a
result it's very important to truss and reinforce the
elements as shown in the design.  I priced the tubing at one
source and it will run about $150 for the sizes and lengths
required.  The balance of the parts consist of stainless
steel hardware, small aluminum plates, and the element truss
materials.  I would estimate the entire cost to be around
$250 if purchased new.  Not too bad for a shorty-forty which
rivals a full size three element mounted at the same height!

73, Bob K6ZZ