[TowerTalk] 160m Antenna Planning

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160m Antenna Planning
From: "Richardson, Ed" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:39:04 -0600
Hello TT

In planning for the spring tower installation, I want to start planning
something for 160m.

I live on a suburban lot of 55 x125 and the 50ft Trylon will be installed in
the rear yard, 5 ft from the rear of the house, the rear property line is 44
feet away. There will be a 12 foot mast with an Optibeam 5 band beam, a 2 el
40m beam and a 6 el 6m beam for top loading. Feedlines will be grounded to the
tower, top and bottom, At least 8 radials with ground rods spaced 16 feet apart
will serve as lightning protection. The tower foundation will also be used as a
UFER ground.

I was considering shunt feeding the tower but the XYL is opposed to me taking
up more of the real estate with a sloping wire and feed box. Also with young
kids playing in the yard, more wires are a bad thing.

The second option I was considering is feeding a ¼ wave wire at the top running
almost horizontally (85')  across the yard and then vertically (45') down the
tree, using the tower as the other half of the antenna. I guess this is more of
a sloper.

The third option would be the inverted L but again, this requires a vertical
wire parallel to the tower and the XYL is opposed to the additional space this
would require.

Are there other options? Suggestions?

"Where everyone else is DX"