[TowerTalk] Linear loaded 160 L

Subject: [TowerTalk] Linear loaded 160 L
From: Dennis OConnor <>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 04:28:29 -0800 (PST)
Tom, there is reasonable evidence that linear loading is not as efficient as
claimed and that net power is improved by using a decent coil and/or top hats...
  Can you convert the L into  a resonant Tee?  That would be the most
  If that is not desireable, then consider a loading coil and a top hat... I
believe the mobile shoot out series have proved that a loading coal about 2/3
of the way up and a top hat was the most efficient layout for that
  The next iteration <in my mind> would be a bottom loading coil with a short
Tee as the top hat...  Alternatives to that would be two coils, one at the 2/3
point but just enough inductance to resonate at the top of the band, and a
bottom loading coil with tap so you can tune to the part of the band to operate
- with or without a Tee/hat...

denny / k8do