Re: [TowerTalk] Linear loaded 160 L

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Linear loaded 160 L
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:30:33 -0800
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 04:28:29 -0800 (PST), Dennis OConnor wrote:

>Can you convert the L into  a resonant Tee?

Tom,

I agree with Denny's suggestions. Think of the top of that antenna
as capacitance (to ground) that resonates the antenna (or gets it
closer to resonance), and simply add as much as you can, not
worrying too much about the exact configuration of it. Then tune
what's left with your antenna tuner.

FWIW -- far too much attention is paid to having high angle
radiation to work locals. During this year's ARRL 160, I used ONLY
my 70 ft high Tee vertical, and nobody local thought I wasn't loud
enough. :)

73,

Jim K9YC