Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L.....thanks for the input folks

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L.....thanks for the input folks
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:13:24 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Hmm..

Looking at the ground system losses, I'll agree with Mike (and Tom) that not
having a nice radial field in suburban environments is a problem, but...

Here's a thought:

one function of that ground is to couple the bottom of the antenna to "earth"
(i.e. provide a low impedance connection).. for that, symmetry is probably less
important than sheer area and number of wires. Consider each wire as a plate of
a capacitor to ground. The more the better.

Another function is to reduce the losses in currents induced in the surface of
the soil as the near field, for that, you'd want, zeroth order, a nice
symmetric sheet of low resistivity metal with radius comparable to antenna
height.

Then, there's the whole "far field" thing with surface reflection of vertically
polarized antennas (yep.. heading on out to the Salton Sea or the beach seems a
good idea.. maybe that's why houses in Malibu on the beach cost so much..
better low band propagation.. who'd a thunk it?)

yes, they're sort of the same function.. But the "low resistance ground
connection" could theoretically be done by a buried web of wires that's deep,
or by burying the wires in concrete (which is fairly low resistance, compared
to most soil.. yes.. that reinforcing mesh has more than one use!).  But the
"low resistance for induced currents" sort of requires a physical presence in
all locations..

Jim, W6RMK