[TowerTalk] Bamboo Quad Spreaders

Subject: [TowerTalk] Bamboo Quad Spreaders
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:44:14 EST
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:58:11 -0500
From: "WA3GIN"  <>
To:  _TOWERTALK@contesting.com_ (

Hi  Folks,

Santa brought me a dozen 40ft bamboo stalks freshly cut and ready  for drying
and UV sealing treatment.

I'm looking for suggestions  regarding the sealing paint/varnish material

In the past 920  years ago) I used marine spar varnish which was mixed for
100% outdoors  use...much has changed in the paint/varnish industry since then.
I have no  idea what works today.

I tried polyurethane on one element and it  flaked away in a few years of
exposure to the sun.

I'm also open to  speader color ideas. I know from experience that people who
paint their front  doors black experience severe wood spliting, apparently
from the excessive heat  build-up when the doors are exposed to sunshine, so I
think black is not a good  color but what about silver, white, sky blue?

Thoughts are  welcome,