Re: [TowerTalk] How do I cut aluminum pipes?

To: Alex Malyava <alex.k2bb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How do I cut aluminum pipes?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:32:16 -0500
On Dec 7, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Alex Malyava wrote:

> Is it enough to use regular hacksaw and sand the edges or there is
> some
> fancy tool like pipe cutter used in plumbing?

Fastest way to cut aluminum tubing, if you have a machine shop, is to
use a band saw. With a proper blade, you can roll the tubing across
the table and it cuts quickly.

The second best way is to use a quality tubing cutter. Use a good one,
and you can cut a tube of any size in a couple of minutes. A poor one
will spiral down the tube.

A hacksaw will work, but it's really hard to get a clean, square cut.

After the cut, be sure to dress it with either a deburring tool, or
round file or half-round file. Don't go wild with the files, as it
will take off a lot of aluminum in short order. You're just trying to
break off the burr. A sanding sponge, or a sanding block covered with
very fine grit sandpaper can also be used to dress the outside edges
of the cut.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901