Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering flex-weave

To: "Tower Talk List" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering flex-weave
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:05:29 -0800
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:07:02 -0500, Martin Ewing AA6E wrote:

>The problem is that the copper is
>weathered pretty well by now, and it can't be soldered as it is.

Flexweave has more serious problems than solderability after aging.
It doesn't age well at all -- that corrosion you've experienced also
weakens the copper, and eventually it will wear and break, and your
antenna will fall. I first used FlexWeave about four years ago. The
first antenna lasted under a year. Every antenna I built with it has
broken. Each time, I've had to put major effort (and in two cases,
major dollars) into replacing them.

Flexweave is a DISASTER READY TO HAPPEN for any antenna with
signficant mechanical stress. It SEEMS like a good idea, but it
isn't. Stick to POC (plain ordinary copper) from your local hardware
store. THHN makes great antenna wire.

Jim Brown K9YC