Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Update

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Update
From: "Kenneth R. Goodwin, Jr." <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 17:08:37 -0600
One lesson I learned when trying to level my 80 foot self-support
tower with an instrument borrowed from my construction manager next
door neighbor (transit?  theodolite?) was that each section was a
little off with the one below it (four 20 foot sections in my Rohn
SSV tower).  In other words, each section was not truly vertical.  If
I were to over emphasize the point, as I moved the transit in the
vertical plane from the bottom to the top, the tower was like a
zig-zag line.  So don't rely on getting one section level and then
assuming that the next one placed on it will be vertical also.  For
your guyed tower, I would level the last guyed section with your
level as previously suggested and then re-execute the operation at
the next guyed section until you've got all of the guyed sections in place.

Ken Goodwin, K5RG
krgoodwin@comcast.net