Re: [TowerTalk] Large,I mean large steel building for a vertical ground

To: Richard Thorne <rmthorne@suddenlink.net>,Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Large,I mean large steel building for a vertical ground plane
From: Hector Garcia XE2K <j_hector_garcia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 13:25:21 -0800 (PST)
Richard:

Next to the shack we install a  metal roof  that is 33 x 66 galvanized  sheet
metal, is 18 ft high , in one of the corners I weld a pipe  where install a
coax Loop and a Alpha Delta  DX-B ,  the installation that the AD  show in his
diagram is feed at the top and lower like sloper  using a tower or a metal as
counterpart , in my case  the installation was like a Vertical, using my metal
roof like ground , the wires go to my higher tower at an angle of 65-70 deg
showing and SWR less than 1.5 :1 in all the bands (segments) that is designed
, i'm not using this antenna to TX   just  RX like  noise antenna for my noise
canceler and i'm happy with it.

Maybe in the next contest i will try for TX also and see how perform.

I think will be a nice idea to use all that metal surface   for your  "antenna
Farm",
why not a pair of  phased verticals for the low bands?

Hector

Hector

Richard Thorne <rmthorne@suddenlink.net> wrote: Our place of business burned
back in October.  This is also where I have
my remote controlled station.

Its looking like the most cost effective way of putting things back
together will be via a steel building. This thing will more than likely
be 100feet wide by 300feet long.  It will have the normal steel
structure with steel roof and sides.

It seems to be me this would make for a perfect ground plane / radial
system for a vertical for the low bands.  Other than having the builder
install a few 2" steel masts at the apex of the roof (bonded to the
steel structur instead of the roof itself), are there any other
suggestions here?  I'm thinking of installing a vertical in the middle
of the apex attach a ground wire to the steel structure and call it a day.

I'm thinking of installing a 10 - 80 Steppir on the roof which will get
me started.  If all goes well I'll also install some sort of tower
during the build so the contractor can handle the concrete work at the
same time.

Rich - N5ZC

Hector Garcia XE2K / XF1K
   Mexicali B.C  DM22fp