[TowerTalk] 10 ft ground rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10 ft ground rods
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:07:07 -0800 (PST)
Fellow hams:

Last August my XYL Cheryl (WY5H) and I were in
Vail/Beaver Creek CO on vacation and stopped by a Home
Depot just to check it out.   They carried in stock 10
ft. copper clad ground rods only, not the 8-foot ones
you see in most big box home involvement centers.
They didn't even have 8-foot ones listed as being
carried in their inventory. The 10 foot ones were a
couple bucks higher in $$ than the 8 foot ones you
find most places.

I've checked the Lowe's and Home Deport's around the
Dallas-Fort Worth area and they carry just the 8 foot
ones.

Also if you're on vacation or a weekend getaway and
have the time you might get off the big interstates
and take the state/U.S. highway that parallels
most/many interstates.

I've found some most interesting tools, wire, etc. in
some of the smaller hardware and farm supply stores
that I had been looking for for some time, but they
were never carried in the big box centers and the
staff in the big stores didn't know what I was talking
about. I can't resist most places like that and always
come out with a sack full of weird tools, wrenches,
wire, parts, etc. Some of the stuff I found you could
tell had been there a while as the price tags were a
bit yellow-tinged and in "new" condition, but its
still a lot of fun just prowling through the bins,
shelves, and back rooms.

73 de Tom, WW5L