Re: [TowerTalk] Maine Contest Site For Sale

To: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Maine Contest Site For Sale
From: Bill N1eY <whobulk3@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:44:26 -0500
The high today in southeastern Massachusetts is 40.   If you can survive
here than you can probably do it up there.  The high would probably be
in the 30's, today.  Bear in mind that the landscape is very different
because things tend to FREEZE and stay frozen up there.

The population of Maine is downsizing.  There is a large political
dynamic between the imported Massachusetts folks on the south versus the
northerners in Maine.  They call the people in the south Flatlanders and
who knows what else.  You would probably not fair well since you are
from California.  The Massholes follow the lead of the Kalifornians;
many up north despise them.  People in Portland spout ideas about
succession and tax inequity all of the time.  Maine is going to have an
education crisis next year similar to the New Hampshire/Massachusetts
fiasco.  The other looming situation is the development of resentment
toward the purchases of vast acreages for preservation and the end of
land based economic activity up North.

The location is very far from Masshole civilization.  It is so far north
of Portland or Bangor.  You can't fly to an airport and drive 30 minutes
to it.  It would be at least three or four hours to get up Route 9 and
everything. The location is actually north of places like Halifax, NS.

The payscale is very low up there, too.

Pat Barthelow wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> For a naieve  Californian, and seeing the price, which is almost less than
> the cost of Taxes for some Silicon Valley homes, and a sizeable tower there,
> which probably would cost much more than the asking price for the complete
> property, I am asking, what is wrong with this picture, besides the weather
> issues?    And I can only imagine, that;  not having experienced the typical
> Maine Weather.   I wonder what today's weather is there?
>
> Interesting on the ad, how they are not very professional, exact, on lot
> size...somewhere between 2 -5 acres mentioned, must be a category, of
> size....elsewhere 3.2 ac approx.   Also the "Plat" map.... god awful  bizarre
> scale...gross distortion... Why would any kind of professional real estate
> person  print such a map?  No Cartography Classes in school anymore?
> What is the Lat Lon?  Google Maps does not have detailed scale maps at that
> location...
>
> http://www.realtor.com/realestate/topsfield-me-04490-1092696524/
>
> I would be interested in chatting more, about that site,  off line, esp
> anyone who has lived in Maine...     Shivering this morning in Northern CA
> were it is a cold morning in the  high 40s...
>
> Used to live in Monterey, and at a December Indy Car test session at Laguna
> Seca, long ago, Bobby Rahal exclaimed:  "Why Laguna Seca?! It's WINTER out
> there!   My home track is under 4 ft of snow!  [Mid Ohio Raceway]  But you
> guys here in Monterey dont know real winter!"  Then after the Laguna Seca
> Testing he went to Pebble Beach to play some golf.   He was in Hawg heaven....

William O'Hara
www.N1eY.com powering ham radio into the 21st Century with 1,500 watts.