Re: [TowerTalk] MaineTower Site For Sale: Become the Strapper ofthe Nort

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MaineTower Site For Sale: Become the Strapper ofthe North!
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:41:46 +0000
If I were a hermit type, looking for a retirement home, with few other
interests than ham radio, I'd consider it.  The economy in that part of Maine
sucks, but with my SS and TN state retirement, I could easily afford the
property and could eke out a comfortable living.  The big expense would be
heating fuel.

Maintenance and taxes would far outstrip the cost of the property.

You could take down the microwave reflectors and put an 80m yagi on top of that
thing that would withstand the ice storms!  Or build the shack  right on top of
the tower - no feedline needed.  Assuming the tower is  located somewhere near
the centre of the property, according to the map there is just about enough
room to lay a full complement of quarter-wave radials for 160, and the tower
looks to be just about the right height for a top band vertical.

I would like to see a ham get it and put a converted AM broadcast transmitter
on 160.

Don k4kyv