Re: [TowerTalk] Maine Winters

To: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Maine Winters
From: Bill N1eY <whobulk3@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:23:00 -0500
I would have to think in Maine that you stand less of a chance to loose
power.  We're building another distribution line through Sharon, MA
right now, supposedly.  The line through Whitman and Hanson which heads
east and a line to the south often fail.  I lost power during the storm,
yesterday.  I frequently lose power and interruptions occur at least six
times a year for me in Southeastern Mass.

Most interruptions only last a half hour or less.  I was out of power
for several hours.  My friend ANW in Sharon was out of power for whole
day of yesterday.

Most of my traffic lights in my street were also out of juice and OFF.

If you live down in Maine and have all of these electrical appliances
such as electric hot water heater, then I would not really worry about
it.  I don't think that they lose power as often as we do.  The best
thing is to get a transfer switch and a diesel generator, if it really
is a concern.

Coyotes now fall in an extended season and we are allowed to hunt them
with larger caliber rifles in Massachusetts due to the soaring build-out
of habitat.  I don't know Maine's laws very well.  I do believe that you
can hunt Coyote all year round.  They are more relaxed over there.  They
wouldn't sweat it, if you shot an attacking coyote because it would be
crazed on rabies or such.   Rabies in coyotes and racoons or the
Mosquito virus are a big topic among friends here in Plymouth Co., Ma.

Bill