Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison

To: 'StellarCAT' <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>,'tower' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:03:13 -0700
Hi Gary:

For two years I ran the Force 12 EF-180B rotatable dipole at about 100'

I switched out to my homebrew 2-el coil loaded Yagi in 2002 and it has
been an outstanding DX performer.  A direct answer to your question is
that there was a significant and very noticeable improvement in worked
DX on 80m compared to the dipole.

Not that working DX is final proof of good performance, but each of the
past 6 winter seasons (from Sept. to March) starting from zero, DXCC has
been worked on 80m. DXCC was worked this year in less than 2 months. I'm
not sure that would be easily do-able with just the dipole from this
northerly location.

Notes on my Yagi can been found here: http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/intro.htm

I would say...go for the Yagi...it might open up a whole new world of
DX.

De steve ve6wz.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
29/01/2008 9:51 AM