[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:38:51 EST
List-post: <>
In a message dated 2/4/2008 6:37:47 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, writes:
>  I am building the 4:1 coaxial balun recommended by KLM nad  some other KLM 
owners of 40M4 yagis.? It calls for sealing of the connections  with RTV.? 
What kind of 

>  RTV is recommended by the masses.?  The last think I want to do is to have 
to take this thing back down because I  used the wrong struff. Oh?Yeah, as 
there any sealing techniques that I should  observe??

    They're recommending that?!? Good grief. I suppose  if you've got a 
couple layers of tape over the joint first, you'll be okay. 
    I don't recommend it. Regular RTV (room temperature  vulcanizing) 
outgasses ascetic acid which is not recommended around  electrical-type 
You don't see any professional tower/antenna  installers using the stuff. What 
they do use is a good tape (e.g. 3M 33 or 88)  and then a layer of butyl 
rubber vapor wrap. I hate CoaxSeal but that's the kind  of stuff. Professional 
vapor wrap versions do not stick to the connectors  (unlike CoaxSeal) and are 
available from _www.championradio.com_ ( . 
    If you've got your heart set on using RTV, use the  kind for aquariums 
which does not outgas the ascetic acid. 
Steve       K7LXC
Professional tower services for hams
Cell: 206-890-4188
Champion Radio Products

**************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.     

TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>