Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?
From: Commander John <crazytvjohn@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:05:03 -0800 (PST)

  Use 100% silicon caulk or bath tube caulk found at hardware stores and home
centers.  Use cheapest caulk tube [brand does not matter].    I used dow at
work.   use black.   not clear or white or bronze.  The black works the best.
Sticks to and seals the best and is the stiffest when cured.  I used it for hv
over cover on TV set tripplers with exposed hv connections and to repair
flyback transformers with screen leakage [breakdown of plastic insulation
leading to arcing].

  technique-- silicon doesn't dry well when applied thick.  The item to be
sealed should be clean.. Lacquer thinner or alcohol.  It doesn't like dirt.
Then using small amount and a Q-tip prime the area to be sealed .  A very thin
coat.  Work the thin silicon into all nooks and crannies.   let dry for hour or
so then apply more  material spread evenly.  Silicon sticks well to itself.
Let set overnight.  The priming is MOST important and not mentioned by anyone.

  john w9zy

> RTV is recommended by the masses.? The last think I want to do is to have
to take this thing back down because I used the wrong struff. Oh?Yeah, as
there any sealing techniques that I should observe??

  W9ZY
                .... Commander John ....