Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Pigtails - Opinions?

To: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>,"Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Pigtails - Opinions?
From: "Dubovsky, George" <George.Dubovsky@andrew.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:29:22 -0500
Ward,

A coax pigtail technique I've used successfully for a long time is to
avoid them - use a pair of connectors. But if the pigtail is
unavoidable, I strip the coax jacket back from the edge of the braid for
perhaps 3/8", then I wrap about 3-5 turns of solid wire (like #14)
around the braid, leaving whatever free length is required. Then, I
quickly solder the coil of wire to the braid - this seals the braid from
wicking and it gives you a solid conductor to make the connection. You
could probably use the same technique for a stranded center conductor,
but I haven't tried that. Seal with RTV/tape, etc.

73,

geo - n4ua

Both
> wick water back into the cable.  I've attempted waterproofing a couple
of
> ways - I'm sure the group can suggest some improvements.
>
> Both methods assume that the jacket has been peeled back and that I
have a
> flat braid pigtail and some center insulator and exposed center
conductor
> forming the other pigtail.  Furthermore, the center insulator is solid
and
> the center conductor is stranded.  Ring or spade terminals are the
> preferred
> termination.
>
> Method #1 - Crimp on the terminals and solder, flooding the end of the
> wire
> and braid with solder, attempting to fill the interstrand volumes.
From
> the
> braid terminal, flood with solder back at least 1 cm.  From the center
> conductor terminal, flood with solder down into the center conductor.
> Paint
> entire cable end liberally, but apolitically, with liquid electrical
tape
> up
> to the terminal.  Work the goo into the strands as much as possible.
>
> Method #2 - Crimp terminal on center conductor and flood with solder
as in
> Method #1. Trim braid to about 1 cm long and solder to a solid jumper
wire
> with terminal soldered on.  Now paint with the liquid electrical tape
as
> in
> Method #1.
>
> The goal of both methods is to form a relatively solid barrier to
water
> being wicked into the cable.  The pigtails formed by either method can
be
> wrapped with electrical tape, if desired, but the water barrier should
not
> depend on the tape.
>
> 73, Ward N0AX

this email is prohibited.