[TowerTalk] KT36XA update..and interactions

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT36XA update..and interactions
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:33:13 EST
A few weeks ago I posted that I was having problems with SWR  with one of the
KT36XAs I was building.  I eventually found the  problem.  Apparently one of
the capacitor tubes (the ten meter one on the  front driven element) had
gotten some moisture in it.  My guess is that  when I was building it I must
have
exposed it to the rain (we have gotten lots  the last few weeks) before putting
the end cap.  In any case, I dried it  out and it has worked well at 60 feet
for several weeks.

The other point I want to bring up is what sort of interaction  I found when
I mounted one of the KT36XAs about 11 feet above (92 ft) the 4  element 40
meter M2 Yagi (81 ft).  Both are fixed right now facing at the  mainland at 55
degrees.  One would expect the most interaction on 15  meters.

Here's what I found, before and after installing the 40 meter  beam under the
KT36XA:

SWR on  20 went up a little on the top part of the band,  but was still
mostly from 1.0 to 1.5 up to 14.3
SWR on 15 went from around 1.0 -1.3 across most of the band to  1.0 - 1.4
across most of the band and was highest (1.5) at the top  end.
SWR on 10 before was textbook (1.0 - 1.4 up to 28.7).   After installation
SWR was about .1 higher in the same part of the  band.

To sum it up I noted very little interaction between the two  antennas.  The
may be some degradation in F/B but since I cannot rotate  them yet, I really
don't know.  Anyway, out in KH6 there really isn't a big  need for high F/B.

Thanks to all the guys who sent me suggestions on  trouble-shooting the XA.

See you all this weekend in ARRL as KH7B...40  meters.

Bill K4XS

Awards. Go to AOL Music.