A few weeks ago I posted that I was having problems with SWR with one of the
KT36XAs I was building. I eventually found the problem. Apparently one of
the capacitor tubes (the ten meter one on the front driven element) had
gotten some moisture in it. My guess is that when I was building it I must
exposed it to the rain (we have gotten lots the last few weeks) before putting
the end cap. In any case, I dried it out and it has worked well at 60 feet
for several weeks.
The other point I want to bring up is what sort of interaction I found when
I mounted one of the KT36XAs about 11 feet above (92 ft) the 4 element 40
meter M2 Yagi (81 ft). Both are fixed right now facing at the mainland at 55
degrees. One would expect the most interaction on 15 meters.
Here's what I found, before and after installing the 40 meter beam under the
SWR on 20 went up a little on the top part of the band, but was still
mostly from 1.0 to 1.5 up to 14.3
SWR on 15 went from around 1.0 -1.3 across most of the band to 1.0 - 1.4
across most of the band and was highest (1.5) at the top end.
SWR on 10 before was textbook (1.0 - 1.4 up to 28.7). After installation
SWR was about .1 higher in the same part of the band.
To sum it up I noted very little interaction between the two antennas. The
may be some degradation in F/B but since I cannot rotate them yet, I really
don't know. Anyway, out in KH6 there really isn't a big need for high F/B.
Thanks to all the guys who sent me suggestions on trouble-shooting the XA.
See you all this weekend in ARRL as KH7B...40 meters.
**************The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy
Awards. Go to AOL Music.
TowerTalk mailing list