Re: [TowerTalk] cleaning aluminum beam elements

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cleaning aluminum beam elements
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:19:26 -0500
> home improvement stores.  Why mess with WD40, kerosene, etc that create a
> mess and then must be cleaned off. Use wet scouring pads.  I keep a bucket of
> water to soak he pads.  Rinse with water and wipe dry with paper towels or
> cloth.
> A nice clean dull non-reflective surfce.  The antenna just became a bit more
> invisaible by not reflecting light.
Hey! I'm proud of all the effort and money that went into all that
Aluminum. I want that thing to shine like it was chrome plated and serve
as a navigation beacon.! <:-))
> BEEN THERE, DONE THAT  on all my antennas.
> Another aid in the process; keep a beer handy, though do not wase it on the
> aluminum.  And for the UK folks a substitute pint of bitters.  Ah, yes, fond
> memories of plowman's lunches while traveling in UK.
> DO NOT do this process on the concrete patio or drive way.
Unfortunately on very large garage apron they'd never notice the
difference. It was poured on a hot day, they used too much water, and it
was over floated. Within a year the surface was spalling(sp?) badly.  It
took 5 gallons of  epoxy to bond the surface and probably  another 5  to
make it smooth again.  On top of that I have the apron at the shop to
redo as well.  IF I was still working I'd just tear out the whole works
and have it redone, but a couple truck loads of concrete is a bit much
for my pension. <sigh>

Roger (K8RI)