[TowerTalk] J-Pole Antenna Question

To: <6meter@yahoogroups.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] J-Pole Antenna Question
From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 01:28:41 -0000
I was thinking about this 2m J-Pole design and then I thought about a 20m
vertical using my tower and mast.

Currently, I have a 45 ft Rohn 25  topped by about 20ft of masting and a
vertical 2m antenna that is insulated from the mast.  So the question is
could I make this into a 20m J-Pole?

Let's see.

For a 20 meter J-Pole on 14.275 MHz, I would need to have

a main element 49.387 ft long

a second element is 16.392 ft, and

the feedpoint should be about 1.611 ft above their common connection at the
bottom.

The two elements need to be spaced by about 1.541 ft.

To me it sounds doable.I can make up a bolt on-bracket conductive bracket
connecting the tower to the smaller element "mast" and use a pair of hose
clamps to secure the coax to the elements.  I could also add insulated
stabilizing brackets above this to keep the smaller element parallel with
the tower longer element).  The stabilizing insulators could be made from
pieces of  1.5 inch PVC (which is actually 1.9 inches) and a couple of long
anodized U-bolts from Radio Shack or stainless ones from Home Depot if they
have long ones to hold it all in place.  The bottom conductive, bracket
could be a piece of aluminum square stock available at Home Depot and a more
U-bolts.  The short element could be a series of  aluminum masts and/or
tubes nested inside each other.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks & 73!

Gordon Beattie, W2TTT