[TowerTalk] Coax Surge Disasters: Locations, Response DAVIS RF Co.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Surge Disasters: Locations, Response DAVIS RF Co.
From: "Steve Davis -Davis RF Co." <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:14:56 -0500
Commercial Installations:  Located at tower top, at lowest point of the coax
at base of tower, and at entrance panel.   Everything Steve said about the
grounding of the entrance panel, and back to the utility ground, is
necessary.   How many calls have I had to write up insurance estimates??
How many hundreds of thousands $$$  worth of equipment, cable, house and in
fact a pet death, have I listened to....sort of begs the aged old question
"do you wanna pay me now or pay me a lot more later??" and "you get what you
pay for (or don't pay for)".  No sense in building or buying that entrance
panel and NOT  3 PolyPhasers at about $ 65  each.....you can't buy insurance
for this little.   "Commercial Installations"  utilize the above, and you
can bet they don't want any down time..... also, you can bet that lightning
doesn't discriminate between your installation and commercial.  We discount
PolyPhaser.   Have also sold many PolyP utility service panel protection
devices to avoid strike of surges coming in from that end (can come in from
a strike way down the service line, far from the QTH).
One question I have is what is the criteria for choice between ICE and
PolyPhaser, other than an extra $20 or so for PolyP ??
Cheers, Steve Davis   K1PEK
sdavis@DavisRF.com

978-369-1738

~ Davis RF Co., Div. of Orion Wire Co.,Inc.
Distribution to numerous industries,  Andrew
Heliax; Times Microwave LMR; RFS Celwave and others.
Cable design engineering. RF Peripherals.
www.DavisRF.com
Tel: 1-800-328-4773 (1-800-DAVIS RF) Tech'l: 1-978-369-
1738, Fax: 1-978-369-3484