Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Coax at Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Coax at Tower
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:00:12 -0600
Having the cables exit the tower above ground is a really bad idea.
Voltage drop down the tower is very high during a strike.  Anything
exiting the tower above ground will see a very large voltage impressed
on the cable at the point it exits the tower.  That translates into very
high currents on the cable.  Those currents go toward the shack instead
of into the ground at the tower base.

Other effects:
1. The cable at the point of exit, looses its mutual inductance with the
tower which increases the currents on the cable.

3.  The cable is now more suceptible to direct strikes.

4.  The cable is also more susceptible to induced currents due to the
large loop area.

5.  There are no good points.

Jerry, K4SAV