Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Coax at Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Coax at Tower
From: jimjarvis@optonline.net
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:11:20 +0000 (GMT)
My comments were triggered by the chap who asked if he needed to run his coax
to the base of the tower,  gnd it, and run it back up 10' for the run tothe
house.   I was suggesting that he just ground it to the tower at 10', and move
one.HOWEVER,  in general I agree with K4SAV,  that there are few redeeming
virtues with flying the cables.   It simply increases vulnerability to
damage.That said, however,  Dean Straw's YCCC stacks with perhaps 200' runs
from tower to shack were @ 10'.   And,  I've run commercial AM stations, where
the coax was suspended from an elevated catwalk, about 4' above a swamp.
Neither of these are ideal, in terms of lightning protection.   But both work.
The virtue of elevated cable runs is head clearance, or perhaps moose
clearance, in some venues,  and critter protection, in those areas where
burying is prevented by rock.  n2eawe've probably beaten this thread to death,
so I'll make any further comments off reflector.