[TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers

To: "T talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers
From: "Arthur Trampler" <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:24:39 -0600
OK--I am not in the market for one of these, so this is for learning, only.

>From what I understand part of the strength of a guyed tower is that torsional
>movement is converted into down force by the guy wires tightening as they
>attempt to cover a greater distance (as the tower twists).

With a rotating guyed tower, is there some sort of locking mechanism between
the bearings and tower, at least in a given "parked" position to allow this
phenomenon to occur?  Otherwise it would seem that this benefit is lost as the
guys are not attached to the tower, but to the bearing rings.

Help me out...maybe the difference in strength is inconsequential or mitigated
by other factors.

Art, KØRO