Re: [TowerTalk] Wireman Balun kits

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wireman Balun kits
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:38:34 -0800
 On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 23:09:58 -0500, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>I've been looking at the series 830, 831 an 832 balun kits from the
>wireman.  These use T-200-1 and T-200-2 cores.  Would a balun like these
>be capable of handling the full 75/80 meter band with the legal limit
>CCS (Digital). I figure the SWR could reach between 3 and 4:1.

Your time would be far better spent studying my work on common mode
chokes.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf

The Wireman's "balun kit" is a VERY weak common mode choke balun. In
other words, it isn't worth the powder to blow it to you know where. Same
for the Amidon and Palomar stuff. A real ripoff.

The ONLY commercial baluns worth the money are the big ones that DX
Engineering makes. Not only do they "handle power," they also provide
excellent choking action. But they aren't cheap -- about $130. But you
can build your own that is as good as the DXE for under $30. My tutorial
tells you how.

As to power handling -- it has NOTHING to do with SWR, but depends only
on the UNBALANCE of the antenna and the impedance of the choke.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC