Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR vs. th7 stack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR vs. th7 stack
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:31:34 -0500
Good suggestion, Jim, regarding the use of the TH7 being fixed in the
SE direction.  That is what I have, sort of, at this location.

A TH7 stack was replaced by a pair of 4 element SteppIRs.  A TH6 is
at 40 ft and fixed SE.  The SteppIRs are at 130 ft and100
ft.  (Hurricane Isabel turned the tower and other antennas into steel
and aluminum pretzels.  The TH6 was in the garage and hadn't, yet,
been placed on the tower before Isabel struck.)

The TH6 fixed SE has been worth the effort to get it mounted,
especially for contesting.  The switching arrangement allows it to be
used by either radio when operating SO2R making it even more effective.

At 12:34 PM 3/7/2008, you wrote:

>Ken,
>
>You dont say what the heights are for the stack.   My inclination
>would be to
>replace the upper th7 with the 4 el steppir, keeping the tic ring for
>the lower
>unit.
>
>You MIGHT find the th7 you're taking off to be useful, fixed South,
>if your tower
>situation permits that, and contesting is your bent.
>
>n2ea
>
>Jim Jarvis, MBA
>President-Executive Coach
>The Morse Group, LLC