[TowerTalk] KFI Tower Construction Begins!

To: wara@mailman.qth.net,r.gonsett@ieee.org
Subject: [TowerTalk] KFI Tower Construction Begins!
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:40:34 -0700
(Please share with your clubs)

It has been almost 3 years and 3 months since the powerhouse KFI
tower in Southern CA was destroyed by a small aircraft.  The cause of
the accident was sun glare and an incorrect setting of the on-board
altimeter.  After much consideration and re-consideration by the FAA,
public hearings with the City of La Mirada, and public outcry by
local pilots from the City of Fullerton and the Fullerton Airport;
the project has been approved, the permits have been signed, and
construction begins!

Since the accident, KFI has had to endure a power reduction of more
than 50% into a short top loaded back up tower which has
significantly reduced their signal coverage into areas outside of the
LA basin.  If not for the foresight of former Chief Engineer Marvin
Collins, who had the tower top loaded and a new matching network
installed, the back-up tower would have reduced their capabilities
even more, to approximately 10KW max!

"Steel" (industry slang for the tower sections) should be delivered
beginning this week with the "stacking" to begin by the end of the
week...hopefully!  Today starts the site evaluations and preparation
work.  The new tower will be about 75' shorter than the original 750'
mark. Coming in around 684', the new tower will incorporate a 50'
diameter capacity hat at the top and a total of 24 guy wires and
torque arms at the top.  It will also be lighted with daytime strobes
and nighttime red flashing beacons.  The strobes will address the
pilots major concern of being able to see the tower during daylight hours.

KFI is as excited about the new project as some of us may be.  My
inside source encourages us to come out and have a look, but asks we
remain outside of the construction area and not interfere with the
construction crews.

I will be updating my website with more "KFI Tower Construction News"
and pictures later today.

73 and God Bless Tall Steel!

Dino - K6RIX
dino@k6rix.com