Re: [TowerTalk] Radial length

To: "Tom Osborne" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial length
From: Bill Turner <>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:58:23 -0700

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:20:13 -0700, "Tom Osborne" <>

>Is it true that my radials only need to be around 100 feet long instead of
>125 for full sized 160 meter radials or is that an old wives tale?   73
>Tom W7WHY

Well, yes and no.

If the radials are laid directly on the earth, length is much less
critical than if they were up in the air, as in a counterpoise. The
missing few feet in your case will be made up by the earth itself, but
having almost a full 1/4 wavelength of radials, you may not notice much
difference. I'd go ahead and try it.

73, Bill W6WRT