Re: [TowerTalk] Using a dip meter

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using a dip meter
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 02:59:25 -0000
From: "Scott McClements" <>
To: "Dave Hachadorian" <>
Cc: "Towertalk Reflector" <>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 2:23 AM

> On 3/20/08, Dave Hachadorian <> wrote:
>> The quad loop must be continuous, with no insulators.
> Dave - Thank you for addressing my question. You point out
> something
> here - this was my 75 meter loop - which is not parasitic.
> Its driven,
> so its broken at the feedpoint with an center insulator.
> Would that cause a problem?

Yes. That's the problem. Remove the feedline and put a
temporary jumper across the insulator, and you will read the
resonant frequency of the loop. You could build your little
coupling loop into this jumper, and remove the other little

>The manual gave one example for reading
> antenna resonance - a ground mounted vertical. It showed a
> loop in the
> vertical section of the antenna.

For a vertical, the loop should be between the vertical
radiator and the ground system. Maybe they showed a ground
at the base of the vertical, and a small loop just above the
ground. That is essentially the same thing as a loop between
the vertical and ground.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ