Re: [TowerTalk] Favorite GPS receiver?

To: Steve <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Favorite GPS receiver?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:02:46 -0400
Steve wrote:
> I've used a Garmin ETREX for several years to determine latitude and
> longitude of potential new QTH's. Sadly, my son borrowed it a few months
> ago and shows no sign of returning it.  :-\
> So I need to replace it. Any favorites out there for lat and lon
> measurements? I do not particularly need the multi-hundred dollar models
> that are commonly used for driving directions in automobiles. Not
> necessarily opposed to them, but don't see spending the bucks if
> something less costly will meet my needs.
> Any advice?
Two words,

Google Earth. It'll probably give coordinates closer than the GPS and
it's free. Besides, for most  things I can read them off an aeronautical
chart far closer than ever needed for ham radio.
BTW I do use on of the new Garmin aviation hand helds,  but it's usually
hooked up where I can use the moving map display to good advantage.

and good luck

Roger (K8RI)
Roger (K8RI)