Re: [TowerTalk] Emoto Rotor

To: JMLTINC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Emoto Rotor
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:06:18 -0400
JMLTINC@aol.com wrote:

> Ray,
>
> For what it is worth, I don't believe there is any grease that is  suitable
> for a rotator. In the winter, the viscosity is so high, the rotor  strains or
> stalls. Over time, the grease hardens, losing its ability to  lubricate, and
> eventually the bearings and races become destroyed.
Moly Disulphide   (BR-2) grease does not harden in normal winter
temperatures at least not down to 0 F. Lithium grease works well at low
temperatures too.

> I have always used AW-32 hydraulic oil in my rotors and have never  had a
> failure. It doesn't take much to lube the balls (or bearings), just a
> coating -
> you don't want oil sloshing around inside the rotor!

It depends on the rotator.  Some are actually filled with gear lube,
others are packed with grease, and some use only a film.  I think you
will find the big rotators that used the double worm gear structure are
either filled with gear lube or packed with grease.  They do not use the
the light duty bearings  such as the Ham-** series of rotators. These
things use wheel bearings as thrust bearings.

Rotators packed with grease, regardless of type should be checked
periodically as should those filled with gear lube or just a
film/coating of oil or grease.  If a something other than an oil or
grease designed for lubrication is used such as hydraulic fluid they
should be checked more often.    IOW they ALL should be  checked  every
year or two to make sure things are still OK.  Another option is the dry
lubricant family.

73

Roger (K8RI)