Re: [TowerTalk] Coax as powerline - NOT

To: "Jim Lux" <>, "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax as powerline - NOT
From: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:38:31 -0400
> Not that I want to encourage the use of coax for AC line power (I'm not
> too wild about the idea), but something that can also be considered here
> is that there could be isolation transformers in the system, so the two
> sides of the coax could be floating relative to "physical ground", with
> the grounding done, say, at the load end (this would be like the utility
> distribution... the grounding is done at the service entrance)
> And, of course, ground fault interrupters would greatly ameliorate the
> personnel safety issues.

IF the ground side is really neutral an not ground.
Those GFIs are almost unbelieveably fast, but don't work at all if the
wiring isn't properly installed.  I wish I had them in the house. Had I had
on on a particular cuircuit I'd still have a very nice pair of flush cutting
side cutters<:-))
Here, they let us use *either* the ground fault breaker (Expensive), or when
a series of outlets are on one circuit you only need make the first outlet a
GFI (Not cheap but far less than the breaker)  and it'll work for the rest
on that circuit.

Roger (K8RI)