Sounds like the wiring at the station I used to work for. You never knew if
it was going to be a mic
level signal, DC control voltage, Talkback, AC, or whatever!!
The life you save may not be yours, but it's a life anyway.
USE THE CORRECT WIRING FOR THE CORRECT JOB!!!!
> -----Original Message-----
> From: email@example.com
> [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]On Behalf Of jim Jarvis
> Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:54 AM
> To: email@example.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] power wiring
> TT: I wasn't going to comment on this, as so many already had.
> But one of today's
> stories triggered a recollection of my days in the broadcast business.
> So let me bat cleanup on the topic:
> a) Summary: Use power wiring for power, not coax. Safety and
> your insurance
> coverage are the reasons. You create an attractive nuisance by
> using coax, making
> you (or your estate) liable for injury. What happens if only YOU
> know you concocted
> this wiring mess, you croak, and workmen are removing your tower
> for your estate, and
> THEY don't know what they're dealing with? Dead workmen?
> That's why we have a national electrical code. Follow it.
> b) My story: Old radio station, during college days. Bare
> shielded twisted pairs run
> all over the place. Carried line level, sometimes mic level,
> sometimes talkback speaker
> level, sometimes on-air light signals.
> Somebody installed new on-air lights. They ran on 110,
> instead of
> the 24v the old ones used. Still used the old low voltage wiring.
> I'm debugging a hum in the studio monitor system, and..... you
> guessed it. Got across a
> pair at exactly the moment someone turned on a mic, causing the on-
> air light to light.
> Melted a screwdriver. Got hit with sputtered metal. Melted some
> low voltage wire. Caused a
> small fire. My burns were minor. Station was off-air for a few
> minutes, while we switched CR's
> and studio.
> c) I'm responsible for a church facility now, where we have
> installed theater lighting. Typical theater
> bastard-lash. Amateur job. Lots of 240V floating around, none of
> which meets code due to connector
> type and exposure. We now need an electrician to set it right, to
> the tune of $3k.
> Better off doing it right, the first time.
> Jim Jarvis, MBA
> President-Executive Coach
> The Morse Group, LLC
> 732 548 5573 office
> 908 410 9130 cell
> Achieving Results in a Changing World
> TowerTalk mailing list
TowerTalk mailing list